Office: 517 Environmental Science Building
Research area: Atmospheric Chemistry
In the Earth's lower atmosphere, the oxidation chemistry largely determines the fate and lifetime of various reactive trace species and strongly interacts with air quality and climate. Our research aims to advance our understanding of this oxidation chemistry and its interplay with air quality and climate. Our research interests include: 1) kinetics and mechanisms of atmospheric oxidation of reactive organic compounds; 2) formation, growth, and aging of secondary organic aerosol; 3) heterogeneous/multiphase chemistry of aerosol particles; and 4) development and characterization of the state-of-the-art mass spectrometry techniques for real-time measurement of atmospheric organic and inorganic compositions.
2022?now Tenured Associate Professor, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
2017?2022 Associate Professor, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
2016?2017 Research Associate, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
2013?2016 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Irvine
2008?2013 Ph.D. in Environmental Science, Peking University
2004?2008 B.E. (with distinction) in Environmental Engineering, minor in English, Huazhong University of Science & Technology
ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1157-5101
- Wang, S., Zhao, Y.*, Chan, A. W. H.*, Yao, M., Chen, Z. M., and Abbatt, J. P. D. Organic Peroxides in Aerosol: Key Reactive Intermediates for Multiphase Processes in the Atmosphere, Chemical Reviews, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.2c00430, 2023.
- Li, C., Zhao, Y., Li, Z., Zhang, X., Zheng, J., Kerminen, V., Kulmala, M., Jiang, J., Cai, Y.*, and Xiao, H.* The dependence of new particle formation rates on the interaction between cluster growth, evaporation, and condensation sink, Environmental Science: Atmospheres, doi:10.1039/D2EA00066K, 2023.
- Zhao, Y.*, Yao, M., Wang Y., Li, Z.*, Wang, S., Li, C., and Xiao, H. Acylperoxy radicals as key intermediates in the formation of dimeric compounds in α?pinene secondary organic aerosol, Environmental Science & Technology, 56(20), 14249–14261, 2022.
- Kanawade V. P.*, Zhao, Y*. and Lee, S.-H*. Editorial: Atmospheric aerosol particle formation and growth. Frontiers in Environmental Science, 10, 1034285, doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2022.1034285, 2022.
- Liu, Z., Zhao, Y.*, Yao, M., Wang, S., Li, Z., Li, C., and Xiao, H. Persistence of Monoterpene-Derived Organic Peroxides in the Atmospheric Aqueous Phase. ACS Earth and Space Chemistry, 6, 2226–2235, 2022.
- Yao, M., Li, Z., Li, C., Xiao, H., Wang, S., Chan, A. W. H., and Zhao, Y.* Isomer-resolved reactivity of organic peroxides in monoterpene-derived secondary organic aerosol. Environmental Science & Technology, 56(8), 4882-4893, 2022.
- Zang, H., Zhao, Y.*, Huo, J., Zhao, Q., Fu, Q., Duan, Y.*, Shao, J., Huang, C., An, J., Xue, L., Li, Z., Li, C., and Xiao, H. High atmospheric oxidation capacity drives wintertime nitrate pollution in the eastern Yangtze River Delta of China, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 22, 4355–4374, 2022.
- Wang, Y., Zhao, Y.*, Wang, Y., Yu, J.-Z., Shao, J., Liu, P., Zhu, W., Cheng, Z., Li, Z., Yan, N., and Xiao, H. Organosulfates in atmospheric aerosols in Shanghai, China: seasonal and interannual variability, origin, and formation mechanisms, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 21, 2959–2980, 2021.
- Wang, Y. Q., Zhao, Y.*, Li, Z., Li, C., Yan, N., and Xiao, H. Importance of hydroxyl radical chemistry in isoprene suppression of particle formation from α-pinene ozonolysis, ACS Earth and Space Chemistry, 5, 487?499, 2021.
- Wang, S., Takhar, M., Zhao, Y., Al Rashdi, L. N. S., and Chan, A. W. H. Dynamic Oxidative Potential of Organic Aerosol from Heated Cooking Oil, ACS Earth and Space Chemistry, 5, 1150-1162, 2021.
- Sun, Y. N., Deng, M., Huang, W. J., Zhou, Y. X., Zhao, Y., Chen, J. S., Yan, N. Q., and Qu, Z.* Radical-Induced Oxidation Removal of Mercury by Ozone Coupled with Bromine. ACS ES&T Engineering, 1, 110-116, 2021.
- Vander Wall, A. C., Wingen, L. M., Perraud, V., and Zhao, Y., Finlayson-Pitts, B. J. Enhanced Gas Uptake during α-Pinene Ozonolysis Points to a Burying Mechanism, ACS Earth and Space Chemistry, 4, 1435-1447, 2020.
- Liu, J., Shen, J., Cheng, Z., Wang, P., Ying, Q., Zhao, Q., Zhang, Y., Zhao, Y., and Fu, Q. Source apportionment and regional transport of anthropogenic secondary organic aerosol during winter pollution periods in the Yangtze River Delta, China, Science of The Total Environment, 710, 135620, 2020.
- Yao, M., Zhao, Y.*, Hu, M., Huang, D., Wang, Y., Yu, J. Z., and Yan, N. Multiphase reactions between secondary organic aerosol and sulfur dioxide: kinetics and contributions to sulfate formation and aerosol aging, Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 6(12), 768?774, 2019.
- Riva, M., Chen, Y., Zhang, Y., Lei, Z., Olson, N. E., Boyer Chelmo, H. C., Narayan, S., Yee, L. D., Green, H. S., Cui, T., Zhang, Z., Baumann, K., Fort, M., Edgerton E. S., Budisulistiorini, S. H., Rose, C. A., Ribeiro, I. O., Oliveira, R. L., dos Santos, E. O., Machado, C. M. D., Szopa, S., Zhao, Y., Alves, E. G., de Sá, S.S., Hu, W., Knipping, E. M., Shaw, S. L., Duvoisin Junior, S., de Souza, R. A. F., Palm, B. B., Jimenez, J. L., Glasius, M., Goldstein, A. H., Pye, H. O. T., Gold, A., Tuprin, B. J., Vizuete, W., Martin, S. T., Thornton, J. A., Dutcher, C. S., Ault, A. P., Surratt, J. D. Increasing Isoprene Epoxydiol-to-Inorganic Sulfate Aerosol Ratio Results in Extensive Conversion of Inorganic Sulfate to Organosulfur Forms: Implications for Aerosol Physicochemical Properties. Environmental Science & Technology, 53(15), 8682-8694, 2019.
- Shao, J., Chen, Q., Wang, Y., Lu, X., He, P., Sun, Y., Shah, V., Martin, R. V., Philip, S., Song, S., Zhao, Y., Xie, Z., Zhang, L., and Alexander, B. Heterogeneous sulfate aerosol formation mechanisms during wintertime Chinese haze events: Air quality model assessment using observations of sulfate oxygen isotopes in Beijing, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 19(9), 6107-6123, 2019.
- Pye, H. O. T., D’Ambro, E. L., Lee, B. H., Schobesberger, S., Takeuchi, M., Zhao, Y., Lopez-Hilfiker, F., Liu, J., Shilling, J. E., Xing, J., Mathur, R., Middlebrook, A., Welti, A., Graus, M., Warneke, C., de Gouw, J., Holloway, J., Ryerson, T., Pollack, I., Thornton, J. A. Anthropogenic enhancements to production of highly oxygenated molecules from autoxidation. PNAS, 116(14), 6641-6646, 2019.
- Zhao, Y.*, Thornton, J. A.*, and Pye, H. O. T. Quantitative constraints on autoxidation and dimer formation from direct probing of monoterpene-derived peroxy radical chemistry. PNAS, 115(48), 12142–12147, 2018.
- Zhao, Y., Chan, J., Lopez-Hilfiker, F. D., McKeown, M. A., D'Ambro, E. L., Slowik, J. G., Riffell, J., and Thornton, J. A. An electrospray chemical ionization source for real-time measurement of atmospheric organic and inorganic vapors. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 10, 3609-3625, 2017.
- Zhao, Y., Fairhurst, M., Wingen, L. M., Perraud, V., Ezell, M., and Finlayson-Pitts B. J. New insights into atmospherically relevant reaction systems using direct analysis in real time-mass spectrometry (DART-MS). Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 10, 1373-1386, 2017.
- Huang, L. B., Zhao, Y., Li, H., and Chen, Z. M. Hydrogen peroxide maintains the heterogeneous reaction of sulfur dioxide on mineral dust proxy particles. Atmospheric Environment, 141, 552-559, 2016.
- Zhao, Y., Wingen, L. M., Perraud, V., and Finlayson-Pitts B. J. Phase, composition, and growth mechanism for secondary organic aerosol from the ozonolysis of α-cedrene. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 16, 3245-3264, 2016. (EGU highlight articles)
- Shen, X. L., Wu, H. H., Zhao, Y., Huang, D., Huang. L. B., and Chen, Z. M. Heterogeneous reactions of glyoxal on mineral particles: a new avenue for oligomers and organosulfate formation. Atmospheric Environment, 131, 133-140, 2016.
- Zhao, Y., Wingen, L. M., Perraud, V., Greaves, J., and Finlayson-Pitts B. J. Role of the reaction of stabilized Criegee intermediates with peroxy radicals in particle formation and growth in air. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17, 12500-12514, 2015.
- Huang, L. B., Zhao, Y., Li, H., and Chen, Z. M. Kinetics of Heterogeneous reaction of sulfur dioxide on authentic mineral dust: effects of relative humidity and hydrogen peroxide. Environmental Science & Technology, 49, 10797?10805, 2015.
- Wu, Q. Q., Huang, L. B., Liang, H., Zhao, Y., Huang, D., and Chen, Z. M. Heterogeneous reaction of peroxyacetic acid and hydrogen peroxide on ambient aerosol particles under dry and humid conditions: kinetics, mechanism and implications. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 15, 6851-6866, 2015.
- Zhao, Y., Huang, D., Huang, L. B., and Chen, Z. M. Hydrogen peroxide enhances the oxidation of oxygenated volatile organic compound on mineral dust particles: a case study of methacrolein. Environmental Science & Technology, 48, 10614-10623, 2014.
- Liang, H., Chen, Z. M., Huang, D., Zhao, Y., Li, Z. Y. Impacts of aerosols on the chemistry of atmospheric trace gases: a case study of peroxides and HO2 radicals. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 13, 11259–11276, 2013.
- Huang, D., Chen, Z. M., Zhao, Y., and Liang, H. Newly observed peroxides and the water effect on the formation and removal of hydroxyalkyl hydroperoxides in the ozonolysis of isoprene. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 13, 5671–5683, 2013.
- Zhang, R., Jing, J., Tao, J., Hsu, S-C., Wang, G., Cao, J., Lee, C. S., Zhu, L., Chen, Z., Zhao, Y., and Shen, Z. Chemical characterization and source apportionment of PM2.5 in Beijing: seasonal perspective. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 13, 7053–7074, 2013. (Highly cited paper)
- Zhao, Y., Chen, Z. M., Shen, X. L., and Huang, D. Heterogeneous reactions of gaseous hydrogen peroxide on pristine and acidic gas-processed calcium carbonate particles: effects of relative humidity and surface coverage of coatings. Atmospheric Environment, 67, 63–72, 2013.
- Shen, X. L., Zhao, Y., Chen, Z. M., and Huang, D. Heterogeneous reactions of volatile organic compounds in the atmosphere. Atmospheric Environment, 68, 297–314, 2013.
- Zhang, X., He, S. Z., Chen, Z.M., Zhao, Y., and Hua, W. Methyl hydroperoxide (CH3OOH) in urban, suburban and rural atmosphere: ambient concentration, budget, and contribution to the atmospheric oxidizing capacity. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 8951-8962, 2012.
- Wang, H. L., Huang, D., Zhang, X., Zhao, Y., and Chen, Z.M. Understanding the aqueous phase ozonolysis of isoprene: distinct product distribution and mechanism from the gas phase reaction. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 7187–7198, 2012.
- Shen X. L., Chen Z. M., Zhao Y., and Huang D. In situ FTIR studying the absorption and transformation of glyoxal on the surface of dust particles. Spectroscopy and Spectral Analysis, 32, 2946-2949, 2012.
- Zhao, Y., Chen, Z. M., Shen, X. L., and Zhang, X. Kinetics and mechanisms of heterogeneous reaction of gaseous hydrogen peroxide on mineral oxide particles. Environmental Science & Technology, 45, 3317–3324, 2011.
- Huang, D., Zhang, X., Chen, Z. M., Zhao, Y., and Shen, X. L. The kinetics and mechanism of an aqueous phase isoprene reaction with hydroxy radical. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11, 8515–8551, 2011.
- Zhao, Y., Chen, Z.M., and Zhao, J.N. Heterogeneous reactions of methacrolein and methyl vinyl ketone on α-Al2O3 particles. Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 2035–2041, 2010.
- Zhao, Y., and Chen, Z.M. Applications of FTIR spectroscopy in the study of atmospheric heterogeneous processes. Applied Spectroscopy Reviews, 45, 63–91, 2010.
- Zhang, X., Chen Z.M., and Zhao Y. Laboratory simulation for the aqueous OH-oxidation of methyl vinyl ketone and methacrolein: significance to the in-cloud SOA production. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 10, 9551–9561, 2010.
- He, S. Z., Chen, Z. M., Zhang, X., Zhao, Y., Huang, D. M., Zhao, J. N., Zhu, T., Hu, M., and Zeng, L. M. Measurement of atmospheric hydrogen peroxide and organic peroxides in Beijing before and during the 2008 Olympic Games: chemical and physical factors influencing their concentrations. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, 115, D17307, doi:10.1029/2009JD013544, 2010.
- Zhang, X., Chen, Z. M., He, S. Z., Hua, W., Zhao, Y., and Li, J. L. Peroxyacetic acid in urban and rural atmosphere: concentration, feedback on PAN–NOx cycle and implication on radical chemistry. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 10, 737–748, 2010.
- National Natural Science Foundation of China (Excellent Young Scholar Fund): Atmospheric secondary organic aerosol Chemistry (No. 22022607), 2021-2023, 1.2 million RMB, PI.
- National Natural Science Foundation of China (General Project): Multiphase reaction between secondary organic aerosol-bound organic peroxides and sulfur dioxide and its contributions to aerosol formation and aging (No. 22076119), 2021-2024, 630,000 RMB, PI.
- National Natural Science Foundation of China (Young Scholar Project): Formation mechanisms of secondary organic aerosol from ozonolysis of α-pinene in the presence of nitrogen oxides (No. 21806104), 2019-2021, 265,000 RMB, PI.
- National Key Research and Development Program of China: Formation and aging of secondary aerosols and its influence on radiative forcing (No. 2022YFC3701000), 2022-2026, 690,000 RMB, co-PI of sub-project.
- Shanghai Municipal Education Commission (Eastern Scholar Program): Chemistry of secondary organic aerosol: 2020-2022, 1.0 million RMB, PI.
- Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (Science and Technology Innovation Action Plan): Key chemical processes for PM2.5 and Ozone Formation in Coastal Areas (No. 19DZ1205004), 2019-2022, 300,000 RMB, PI.
- Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (Pujiang Talent Program): Formation mechanisms of secondary organic aerosol from ozonolysis of α-pinene under atmospherically relevant NOx conditions (No. 18PJ1405700), 2018-2020, 200,000 RMB, PI.
- Key Program of Medical-Engineering Cross Research Fund of Shanghai Jiao Tong University: Health impacts of atmospheric secondary organic aerosol (No. YG2019ZDA24), 2020-2022, 400,000 RMB, co-PI.
- Special Fund of State Key Joint Laboratory of Environmental Simulation and Pollution Control: Aging of key reactive organic compounds in α-pinene secondary organic aerosol (No. 18K04ESPCP), 2018-2019, 100,000 RMB, PI.